Healthy Carrot Cake with Goji Berries and Mascarpone
Cooling time: 1 hour
Summary: This healthy cake is the perfect guilt free treat - all the flavour and spice but with less sugar.
For the Cake
- 50g Dark brown sugar
- 25ml of vermont maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 4 medium carrots grated
- 120 ml vegetable oil
- 75g buckwheat flour
- 75g of white spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
- 50g goji berries
For the Frosting
- 250g of mascarpone
- 1tbs of icing sugar
- choppec walnuts and goji berries to finish (optional)
To make the cake
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees
- Grease and line an 8" square cake tin.
- In a large bowl, beat the oil, sugar, maple syrup and eggs together for a couple of minutes. Finally add the grated carrot and stir through.
- In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients - flours, spices, baking powder and bicarb of soda and add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture in thirds, mixing briefly after each addition.
- Finally add the goji berries and stir through before pouring the mixture into the prepared cake tin and baking for 30 minutes or until risen and domed in the centre.
- Allow to cool totally before icing
To make the frosting
- To make the icing, beat the mascarpone with the icing sugar which will cause it to go a bit runnier.
- Spread a thick layer on to the top of cake and run a fork over the top of the icing to leave a ridged effect.
- Top with the goji berries and chopped nuts. ENJOY!